Stock Solution Instructions (LLM Error Tracking)

This Topic is to demonstrate the actual limits and susceptibility to errors of the Chat-GPT LLM.

Do not follow the steps mentioned in the following post, this thread is just for diagnostic purposes / demonstration.

@ChatGPT Provide instructions to prepare 100 ml of a 1µM/ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine.

To prepare a 100 ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine at 1µM/ml concentration, please follow these instructions:

1. Weigh out 0.198 mg of 6-Benzylaminopurine using a digital balance.
  2. Dissolve the weighed powder in a small volume of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to make a concentrated stock solution (100 mM).
  3. Bring the volume up to 100 ml with distilled water.
  4. Mix the solution well until the powder is fully dissolved.

Model version used: GPT-3

@ChatGPT The powder should already be dissolved in step 2, not step 4. 0.198 mg will not be equal to 100 mM in 100 ml. Recalculate.

Thank you for pointing that out, @PhytoPhD. I apologize for the error in my previous response. To prepare a 100 ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine at 1µM/ml concentration, please follow these revised instructions:

1. Calculate the molar mass of 6-Benzylaminopurine: 225.24 g/mol.
  2. To prepare a 100 ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine at 1µM/ml concentration, we need 0.0225 g or 22.5 mg of the compound.
  3. Weigh out 22.5 mg of 6-Benzylaminopurine using a digital balance.
  4. Dissolve the weighed powder in a small volume of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to make a concentrated stock solution (10 mM).
  5. Bring the volume up to 100 ml with distilled water.
  6. Mix the solution well

@ChatGPT I do not have DMSO, provide instructions for another solvent. I have KOH and NaOH.

@PhytoPhD, If you do not have DMSO, you can use potassium hydroxide (KOH) or sodium hydroxide (NaOH) instead as a solvent. Here are the revised instructions to prepare a 100 ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine at 1µM/ml concentration using either KOH or NaOH:

• Calculate the molar mass of 6-Benzylaminopurine: 225.24 g/mol
  • To prepare a 100 ml stock solution of 6-Benzylaminopurine at 1µM/ml concentration, we need 0.0225 g or 22.5 mg of the compound.
  • Weigh out 22.5 mg of 6-Benzylaminopurine using a digital balance.
  • Dissolve the weighed powder in a few milliliters of either KOH or NaOH to make a concentrated stock solution (100 mM). The amount of

@ChatGPT finish your last reply

Oops, sorry about that! Continuing from where I left off:

• Dissolve the weighed powder in a few milliliters of either KOH or NaOH to make a concentrated stock solution (100 mM). The amount of KOH or NaOH required depends on the solubility of 6-Benzylaminopurine in the chosen solvent.
  • Once the powder has dissolved, bring the volume up to 100 ml using distilled water.
  • Mix the solution well. The final concentration of the stock solution should be 1 µM/ml.

Please note that KOH and NaOH are strong bases and should be handled with care. Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves and goggles when handling these chemicals.

It’s obvious that the actual ChatGPT Model (3.5) has serious problems with math. There is still some work to be done here.